November 11, 2013

Art Explosion

Sorry, I have not been posting as frequently as I would like.  I am getting ready for parent conferences starting next week, and there seems to be much to do outside the school day!

But, I did want to share some wonderful art that we have done in class.  We do art every Friday afternoon.  It is something I look forward to each week.  In the spirit of full disclosure....I am not an artist....I have no art training...but I do like to make art.  Over the years, I have learned from other teachers and know what is important for kids to learn when learning about art techniques.  I try to share that you don't have to be "good" in order to be an artist....that art is really about enjoying the creating of something....anything.  If you like to make art....then it IS art....so check this out!!!

We studied Andy Goldworthy.  An artist who makes art in nature.  He uses leaves, twigs, even ice to make amazing outdoor pieces.  We looked at this presentation to learn more about him.

http://prezi.com/nepz8u5quxwq/andy-goldsworthy/

Then, we went outside to make our nature art.  We collected materials that we thought we might use.  We selected items based on their color, pattern or lines.  Then, in teams of 2 or 3, we created the following masterpieces.












Beautiful color pictures of all the art will be posted in the hallway this week!

We also studied the cultural celebration called Day of the Dead.  Many of our families celebrate this holiday and we wanted to learn more about it.  We discussed the celebration and why it is important to so many people.  Then, we designed our own sugar skulls using pattern, color and symmetry to make them pleasing to the eye.




You can see the finished product in the hallway outside our classroom!

No comments: