January 06, 2014

Newsletter - 1/6/14

WELCOME BACK!

Welcome back to 2014!  I hope everyone had a restful Winter Break. I enjoyed lots of “not-so-quiet-time” with my own family!  I always enjoy the break, but I also look forward to reconnecting with my students after such a long time apart.  I find that they “grow-up” so much over Winter Break.  They will start looking more and more like 3rd Graders!

As we enter the new year, we are going to shift our focus to learning more about our world.  Each student will become an expert on one country.  They will research and create a report presenting their country to the class.  We will talk about how to find information on the internet and in the library.  We will determine what information other people may find interesting, and what information we don’t really need. 

I am excited for the kids to sink their teeth into such an interesting project.  This will lead right into a study of the Winter Olympics.  The students will now represent their country in our own Arleta Olympics.  More information to come, but it is going to be a great way to learn more about our world.




SUPPLIES

Parents, we would appreciate donations of the following supplies:

-       Post It notes
-       Glue Sticks





Math

Before break, we were working on measuring the length of items in inches and in feet.  We are going to move to the metric side of things, and measure items using centimeters and meters.  It is important that students are able to use both measurement systems.




No comments: